Working towards the world's best tourism and hospitality education network by connecting faculty and students to industry, and to each other.
Awards and Scholarships
This list of scholarships and awards for tourism and hospitality students is updated every August, and arranged in order of deadline in the academic year. Please be sure to visit web links where provided as information regarding deadlines is subject to change:
For general (non-tourism) awards visit the Ministry of Advanced Education StudentAidBC site at www.aved.gov.bc.ca/studentaidbc/specialprograms/scholarships.htm.
(60 + awards ranging from $1,000 to $5,000)
Terms of Reference: Every year, Tourism Cares distributes tens of thousands of dollars in scholarships to tourism students. The scholarships are to be used to cover the following fall semester's tuition, books, and educational fees. Scholarships are open to undergraduate students, and covers research-related expenses for graduate students.Applicants must be:
- Enrolled in the fall semester (not graduating).
- A citizen or permanent resident of the US or Canada.
- Enrolled at a two-or four-year college or university in the US or Canada.
- Entering second year at a two-year school, third or fourth year at a four-year school, or entering/returning to a year of graduate study.
- Holding a cumulative 3.0 grade point average (GPA), or greater, on a 4.0 US scale.
- Undergrads: minimum 30 credit hours completed for a two-year school, or 60 credit hours for a four-year school by the end of the current semester.
Note: You may only receive one scholarship award from Tourism Cares per calendar year. You may accept other scholarships in conjunction with this scholarship.
Application process: For more information, please visit http://tourismcares.org/student-resources/scholarship-programs
($1000 + conference registration)
The Travel and Tourism Research Association (TTRA) - Canada Chapter has a number of awards for instructors and students engaged in tourism research.
The J.R. Brent Ritchie Lifetime Contribution Award is the highest honor given by TTRA. This award is presented at the TTRA Canada Chapter annual conference to an individual or organization who has made a highly significant contribution to TTRA Canada as well as to the travel and tourism industry. Visit /www.ttracanada.ca/en/node/987 for details. The deadline is June 1st, 2012. Submissions are to be sent directly to TTRA Canada's Chapter President: denisa.georgescu(at)pc.gc.ca
The Gordon Taylor Future Researchers Undergraduate Award (Sponsored by Laurel Reid, Tourism Synergy) recognizes students with an interest in and potential for excellence in tourism studies and to encourage undergraduate students to pursue research excellence through employment in industry and/or graduate studies. The deadline for the research award is May 10, 2012. Please see www.ttracanada.ca/en/awards for details on formatting and submission requirements.
The DMAC Graduate Researcher Award (Sponsored by the Destination Marketing Association Canada) has been developed to encourage and recognize excellence in and usefulness of research on travel and tourism at the Masters level. The deadline for the research award is May 10, 2012. Please see www.ttracanada.ca/en/awards/dmac_graduate_researcher_award for details on formatting and submission requirements.
The Peter W. Williams Research Award (Sponsored by Judy Rogers, Research Resolutions & Consulting) for the Advancement of Multi-Disciplinary Tourism Research encourages original contributions to the advancement of concepts or methodologies central to tourism research. The deadline for the research award is May 10, 2012. Please see www.ttracanada.ca/en/awards/peter_w_williams_phd_award for details on formatting and submission requirements.
BC Hospitality Foundation "Our Future Leaders" Experience (deadline October 1, 2013)
(VIP conference experience and special recognition/award)
The Our Future Leaders program, sponsored by the BC Hospitality Foundation, is a VIP experience at the CONNECT tradeshow and conference (October 27-28, Vancouver). This includes:
- Conference registration.
- Special recognition at an event.
- Dinner (gala) tickets.
It is only open to hospitality management students in their graduating year. Participants are chosen by their deans or program chairs based on the school's own criteria. The deadline for this program (names submitted) is October 1st, 2013. Interested students must speak with their dean and/or program chair.
(2 awards of $1500)
Terms of Reference: These awards recognize two BC tourism/hospitality students who have demonstrated success in their academic lives while also displaying leadership attributes and a desire to excel as a tourism professional. The awards are named after business owner and former TIABC chair Pat Corbett, and were created to recognize Pat's many years of leadership in the industry.
There is an undergraduate and a graduate level award, each consisting of $1,500.00.
Undergraduate Leadership Award ($1500): Qualifying students will be enrolled in either a two-year Diploma or a four-year Bachelor's Degree tourism/travel/hospitality program in a public university, college or institute or through a private institution accredited through the BC Private Post Secondary Education Commission.
Graduate Leadership Award ($1500): Qualifying students will have completed (or currently be enrolled in) a Master's degree-level program with a focus on tourism/travel/hospitality in a BC university, college or institute.
Application Process: Download and complete an application form (click here), which must be accompanied by the following:
- An official transcript of your most recent student academic record (a photocopy signed by your award "supporting instructor/administrator" is acceptable).
- One or more letters of recommendation from your "supporting instructor/administrator" and/or other individuals currently responsible for your education.
- One or more letters of recommendation from past or present employers. Employer and school letters must be on official stationary and must include telephone numbers, email contacts and fax numbers. TIABC reserves the right to check all references.
- A 500 word essay (approx. two double-spaced pages) expressing your views on a current tourism issue, challenge or opportunity in the industry.
Missing or incomplete documents will detract from your application.
Judging Criteria: Applicants are judged by a TIABC-appointed jury of industry and education leaders. They review applications based on their aptitude for the tourism industry, demonstrated leadership potential, letters of recommendation, extracurricular and volunteer activities, academic record, quality of their industry insight(s) as provided in the essay topic, as well as a consideration of financial need.
Payment of Award: The payment is presented directly to the Award winners at the annual HOST 2012 tourism and hospitality conference. Winners will be acknowledged, profiled (short bio) and receive their awards on stage at a plenary event. Some travel assistance may be available. All arrangements need to be confirmed in advance with the TIABC office.
(one award of $1000)Terms of Reference: The Stephen Phillips Passion for Hospitality Bursary is dedicated to the memory of Stephen H. Phillips, former Vice-Chairman and CEO of AFM Hospitality Corporation Inc., who passed away from cancer in early 2007. This bursary will be awarded to the hospitality student who best represents the qualities that Stephen Phillips brought to the industry. The recipient will: demonstrate a strong commitment to the industry and their chosen field; have shown a "hands on" quality, and an entrepreneurial spirit; be active in industry associations/events, charity work; and displays the ability to lead and inspire a passion for the field in others.
- Be a Canadian Citizen or landed immigrant.
- Be enrolled as a full-time student in a Canadian post-secondary educational institution. hospitality related diploma/degree program.
- Be registered in their 2nd semester or higher.
- Be active in extracurricular program related activities.
- Have achieved a minimum of 70% average in the previous semester/year (transcript required).
To access the application form, please visit: www.hotelassociation.ca/site/news/awards.htmTop ^
(up to 30 awards of $4000)
Terms of Reference: International trade is critical to Canada's economic prosperity and EDC is dedicated to helping students - the next generation of business leaders - to succeed. They award up to 30 scholarships annually, 25 of which go to undergraduate university or college students interested in pursuing a career or furthering their studies in international business, with up to 5 additional scholarships for students in programs which combine business with environmental or sustainability studies. An EDC scholarship is worth a $4,000 cash award.
Applicants must be:
- A Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada.
- Currently enrolled in a full-time accredited bachelor's degree at a Canadian public university or college, in second, third or fourth year (but not final year).
- Returning to full-time post-secondary studies for the 2013-2014 academic year.
- In excellent academic standing.
Business experience outside Canada will be considered an asset.
Students should be enrolled in a program focused on international business, finance, economics, or a combination of these with environmental/sustainability studies. (Many tourism and hospitality degree programs in BC fit these criteria.) Note: employees of EDC and dependents of employees of EDC are not eligible.
For more information on judging criteria, and the application process, please click here.
Applications will be reviewed by a selection committee including academic and EDC representatives. Winners will be notified of their selection by early April 2012. The financial awards are paid directly to the student at the beginning of the Fall 2012 semester.
Payment of Award: Scholarships are awarded in spring 2013, and issued in autumn 2013 at the start of the academic year.
Top News Stories
Gilles Valade (TRU) Named New Director of Canadian Avalanche Centre
After a competition that attracted many highly talented applicants, the Canadian Avalanche Centre...Read More
LinkBC Board Seat Vacancy: Adventure Programs Rep
With the recent appointment of Gilles Valade to the Canadian Avalanche Centre, the LinkBC Advisory B...Read More
- TEC 2013: Registration Now Open! February 20th, 2013
- LinkBC Annual Calendar is Now Posted January 4th, 2012
- Volunteers Needed: IVSA May 27th at the Four Seasons Vancouver May 17th, 2013
- Gilles Valade (TRU) Named New Director of Canadian Avalanche Centre May 15th, 2013
- LinkBC Board Seat Vacancy: Adventure Programs Rep May 15th, 2013